The ultimate 2016 ERP selection checklist
Selecting a new ERP is a complex process with many variables being fed into one end of the funnel, and only one system coming out the other end. This ERP selection checklist covers some of the questions you need to be asking yourself prior to ERP selection as well as post ERP selection. Also covered are a range of industry-specific ERP selection decisions which need to be made to ensure you ERP selection process goes smoothly.
Prior to ERP selection
- Have you selected an ERP selection project lead?
- Will you supplement your ERP selection team with any consulting expertise?
- Have you identified the role an ERP consultant will play in the selection process?
- Have you received references from the consultant’s previous clients?
- Which C-level individual will be your executive sponsor for the project?
- Are your ERP requirements documented in an accessible and detailed format?
- Are your ERP requirements a fair representation of all departmental needs?
- Have prospective ERP users had a say in the requirements gathering process?
- Are your requirements prioritized?
- What is the expected monetary value of meeting these requirements?
Recommended Reading: ERP Selection Checklist - Get the ERP selection checklist in one complete guide
- Will this return on your investment be enough to satisfy senior management?
- Is there a non-economic reason dictating your ERP choice?
- Are those reasons in writing and is there agreement from all departments?
- Do you have any ERP integration requirements?
- Are you looking for cloud or on-premise software?
- What mobile devices will need to interface with ERP?
- What languages and currencies must your new ERP support?
- What support level do you require from either you vendor or a third party?
- What ERP training do you require from either you vendor or a third party?
- Have you received any references from other businesses in your industry?
- Have you drawn up a shortlist of potential ERP systems?
Industry ERP choices
- Where do you need visibility in your supply chain?
- Is it time to integrate a manufacturing execution system?
- How will machine to machine communications help your ERP system?
- What business intelligence tools are you looking to use?
- Is now the time to integrate automation systems such as pick to light or voice picking?
- Do you need to connect your measurement tools to record directly in your ERP database?
- Do you require CRM in your ERP?
- Do you need to link to your customers’ systems for downstream visibility to demands?
- Should your customers be able to place orders directly using eCommerce?
- What quality control requirements will you ERP have to support?
- Which areas of wastage are you looking to reduce with a new ERP system?
- What compliance requirements does your business have and how will ERP meet these?
- Is the user interface modern tiles or old-style drop down menus?
- How difficult is it to change the words in the standard interface?
- Will the ERP support all the languages you use?
Post ERP selection
- Can you use your selected ERP as-is?
- What will the hardware requirements be for your selected ERP?
- What is the condition of your existing network?
- Will you need to add any staff to manage your selected ERP?
- What is the predicted total cost of ownership of your selected system?
Featured white papers
Mastering ERP demos in five easy steps
Your guide to using vendor demos to make an informed ERP selection decisionDownload
70 features to look for in your next ERP
A comprehensive guide to help you identify requirements for your ERP selectionDownload
How to sell your ERP project to senior management
Expert advice to help you achieve approval and funding for your ERP projectDownload
Mini-ERP: affordable integrated solutions for SMEs?
Standalone CRM or accounting software not good enough for you? Mini ERP could be what you’re look...
How to get c-suite to back your plans for a cloud ERP
Switching to cloud ERP is often considered a risk by c-suite and senior personnel. Here's how to ...
Three things to ask before making your final ERP selection
You’re almost at the end of your ERP selection project - but you still have a couple of things to...